In this article, let’s talk about using a temporary phone number in business. What are its advantages, disadvantages and possibilities? We’ll tell you where to use temporary virtual numbers and how to choose the right provider for SMS verification.
What is a temporary phone number?
Temporary phone number is essentially a standard phone number without a physical SIM card, because it is in a special SIM bank on the provider’s side, which works thanks to special software. Usually such mobile numbers are used for a limited period of time, during which the user can perform an action (receive an SMS), after which the phone number becomes inactive.
Temporary phone numbers — features, advantages and disadvantages
Temporary phone numbers for online registration provide certain advantages, but also have disadvantages. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages
Some of the main advantages include:
- Anonymity. The main and undeniable advantage can be considered the ability to keep your real identity and contact information a secret. This can be useful if you do not want to disclose your personal information or are concerned about your privacy on the Internet.
- Spam protection. Another important benefit is the ability to avoid receiving unwanted messages, newsletters or spam after registering on certain websites or services.
- Convenience. Temporary phone numbers are easy to obtain and use. This type of mobile number does not require a separate contract with a mobile operator and can be used regardless of your location, mobile service availability or other factors. All you need is an Internet connection.
In addition to the positive qualities, there are also disadvantages:
- Limited validity period. These phone numbers are valid for a limited period of time, after which they become unavailable. This can cause problems if you need long-term access to an account or service that requires phone number verification.
- Limited features. Usually provide only one of the features of a phone number. For example, they are most often used to receive text messages. If you need additional features, such as the ability to send SMS or make calls, you may be restricted.
- Possible restrictions. Some websites and services may block such phone numbers because they may already be in use. If this is the case, using a temporary number may not be available for registration on these platforms.
Among the main features that can be obtained using this service, we can distinguish the following.
- Registration in social networks and messengers, creating a fake account for mailing or other purposes. Registering your main account to a disposable number is not recommended: later you won’t be able to restore access to your profile.
- Registering on forums and online services. This is like with social networks – you can create an account, but if it gets blocked, it will be impossible to restore it.
- Message boards. In order not to “shine” the main phone number on the message boards, you can register for a disposable one. But it’s better to include email or a second phone number in your contacts to be able to restore access to the account.
Service for connecting disposable virtual number
For those who need a temporary phone number I recommend the service “SMS-man” on the site which you can quickly and easily get a disposable number of 190 different countries. The procedure for obtaining a virtual number is simple and clear, allowing you to do it in just a few minutes. Even if you have difficulties, there is 24-hour online support available on the site to help with any difficulties.